MUSEUM ST. JOHANN IN TIROL
From Tuesday to Friday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
From September 26th to October 5th_2023: Tuesday and Thursday; 11 a.m. to 2 p.m
Saturday, October 7th 2023: Long Night of Museums: 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.
oNE MUSEUM IN TWO HOUSES
The Museum St. Johann in Tirol is located at the end of the pedestrian zone just behind the parish church in two buildings that are connected under the street. In the 18th century the houses served as a peniteniary for priests, who lead a dissolute life.
Several extraordinary attractions for all generations make you want to visit the museum.
As a sensual place of amazement, the St. Johann Museum offers exciting stories: the roaring cave bear „Grim“, the terrarium with the legendary green earthworms, the prehistoric finds, the world-famous „Toy-Symphony“ by Edmund Angerer, the rare scorpion from the Kaiser mountains, the legendary Mrs. „Emma in Europe“, the talented poodle „Schmecks“ or the „mountain tour“ in the museum with a view of a lifelike model of the mountain as if from the stratosphere … These are just a few of the many lasting impressions of a visit to the museum.
INFORMATION IN ENGLISH
Visitors to the museum can access information provided in English about the various exhibits using QR-codes on mobile phones.
POINTS OF EMPHASIS
The ideal starting point to get to know St. Johann in Tirol
The following focal points provide an insight into the history of St. Johann and a special view to the Kaiser mountains:
- Historic images of the village
- Sights and monuments
- Riflemen and the Tyrolean Rebellion
- Traditional dress
- Church history
- Copper and silver mining
- Wood carvings
- The talented poodle „Schmecks“
- Traditional clubs and societies
- Mrs „Emma in Europe“ – a pioneer of tourism
- Paintings by Alfons Walde
- School history
- Nostalgic St. Johann
- Edmund Angerer composer of the „Toy-Symphony“
- Model of the Kaiser mountains
- Historic climbing equipment
- Prehistoric discoverys of the Kaiser mountains
- Model of a prehistorc cave bear
- Animals from the Kaiser mountains
- The legendary green earthworms
- Skorpions from the Kaiser mountains
- Paintings of the Kaiser mountains
Adult: € 2.50
Children and Youth: Up to the age of 18 free of charge
The museum is situated in two buildings
The museum is showing local history
A museum for all generations
Fauna and flora of the „Wilder Kaiser“ Mountains